Monday, May 17, 2010

Bus Stop Opera: The raddest thing I've ever done

We just had our last performance today, so it won't be posted on the website yet, but if you want to know more about the concept and creator of Bus Stop Opera, here's a link.
And today's OregonLive.

Haha. If you look closely in the picture in today's Oregonian in the Arts section, you'll see a tiny me in my Trimet outfit (the newspaper has a larger version of this image). I'm looking the other way, so my face isn't recognizable, but it's me!


Our last day of performances went well considering the different conditions we were given like rainy weather, and a hospitalized tuba player. All in all, a really enjoyable and memorable experience. The best part was receiving the confused, shocked, and eventually pleased looks on people when I suddenly started singing to them.
Everyone involved in the show was positive and enthusiastic, and as far as I could tell, there was no pretentiousness. Lots of smiles. The energetic environment helped me to be less nervous, although I still had butterflies sometimes!
I was a stand-in for another singer who suddenly became ill this weekend. I am thankful I had the opportunity to do so many performances with the troupe (9 out of 12 performances- 3 performances a day) We each sang just one song, which were taken from dialogue that the director/coordinator obtained through conversations with everyday people at Portland Trimet stops. The dialogues were then composed into songs by various people. My character was "Diana" the bus driver. I wish I could meet the real Diana.
Out of the six singers, my song came first. On one hand, being first was disappointing because it provided me with a small audience (sometimes no audience at all!) since nobody was expecting a show to happen right there and then. On the other hand, I had the highest element of surprise. :D
Even if there isn't a musical/opera/dance troupe around to join, I highly encourage anyone to burst out into song or prose or clog dancing if the moment strikes you- even at bus stops.
I am a bit hypocritical since I probably won't do anything like this again unless it's with an organized group. ;)

Kudos to:

The directors and coordinators of Bus Stop Opera- it wouldn't exist without you!

The musicians and singers- a talented bunch!

The Original- they provided us with a nice dinner! Yum!

Time-on-Time- a "fellow" bus driver who enjoyed my singing. I guess he's never late?

Trimet Maintenance- I had an enjoyable conversation with a man involved in that department.

No comments:

Post a Comment